Cannon of Lamb with Vegetables, Soba Noodles and Kimchi
A tender cannon of lamb marinated in fresh ginger, sesame oil, garlic, mirin and seasoning, pan seared and finished in a hot oven and served with spiralised vegetables, cooked soba noodles and kimchi.
- 1 x 250g/9oz cannon of lamb
- For the marinade
- :1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 60ml/4tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 100g/4oz noodles (we used soba or buckwheat)
- 2 medium carrots, spiralised or finely grated
- 1 small courgette, spiralised or finely grated
- 1 x 215g jar prepared kimchi, to serve
- Put the ginger, oil, garlic and mirin in a small bowl and mix together.
Put the lamb on a chopping board, make several slashes over the surface, transfer to a medium shallow dish. Spoon over 30ml/2tbsp of the marinade, cover and marinate for 10 minutes in a cool place. Cover and reserve the remaining marinade.
Preheat a non-stick, ovenproof frying pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the lamb for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
Transfer to a preheated oven at Gas mark 4, 180°C and cook for 10 minutes turning once until still pink in the middle (or 15-20 minutes if you prefer your lamb less pink). Remove and set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for the same cooking time.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and add the vegetables. Season, if required.
Arrange the noodles onto 2 warm plates. Slice the lamb and arrange on top of the noodles. Drizzle over the unused marinade and serve immediately with the kimchi.