Cannon of Lamb with Spiced Rhubarb
This lean lamb cannon is pan seared with ground coriander, finished in a hot oven and served with quick spiced rhubarb chutney made with fresh rhubarb, ginger,honey, dried chilli flakes and orange juice that complements the lamb perfectly. Serve with leafy grren cabbage or spinach leaves.
- 1 x 250g/9oz cannon of lamb
- 30ml/2tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp ground coriander
- For the Spiced Rhubarb Chutney
- :200g/7oz fresh rhubarb, roughly sliced
- 60ml/4tbsp rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 45ml/3tbsp runny honey or agave nectar
- 1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5ml/½tsp dried chilli flakes
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh orange juice
- Steamed Swiss chard or wilted baby spinach leaves, to serve
- To prepare the chutney; put all the chutney ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft. Add a little water if needed.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan until hot. Meanwhile, put the lamb on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface. Rub with the oil, season and dust the ground coriander on both sides.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and sear the lamb in the pan for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a preheated oven at Gas mark 4, 180°C and cook for 10 minutes turning occasionally until still pink in the middle (or 15-20 minutes if you prefer your lamb a little more cooked). Set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for the same cooking time.
- Slice and serve on a bed of steamed Swiss chard or baby spinach leaves and the chutney.