Classic Cornish dish takes a while to cook but is easy to prepare and makes a delicious lunch or snack that everyone will love.
- 450g lean beef braising steak
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g swede, peeled and cut into thin short wedges
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into thin short wedges
- ½ beef stock cube
- 800g shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place the beef cubes into a bowl. Add the onion, swede and potato. Season well, crumble over the stock cube, add the water and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Divide the pastry into 4 and shape into balls. On a floured surface roll each out to a circle of approximately 23cm, cut round a plate or saucepan lid to create a neat round. Place some of the filling into the centre of the circle.
- Brush one half of the edge lightly with the beaten egg and bring the edges up together, pressing lightly together. Fold the edges over working towards you from one end to the other. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Brush all over with beaten egg.
- Place onto a greased baking tray and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Serve with what ever you fancy – mashed potato and vegetables, salad, baked beans or a large dollop of your favourite ketchup, and a pint of the local brew.