Beef and Red Pepper Noodle Broth
A light beef and red pepper broth, made with beef strips.
- 450g lean beef stir-fry strips
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared chilli or Szechuan sauce
- 600ml good, hot beef or vegetable stock
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 175g fresh or dried fine egg noodles
- 200g pak choi or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red pepper, cored, deseeded and finely sliced and cut into half widthways
- Small bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- Large bunch freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium bowl dust the stir-fry strips in the Chinese five spice powder. Add the soy sauce and chilli or szechuan sauce. Cover and set aside.
- In a large pan add the stock, ginger and garlic. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the noodles and pak choi or cabbage. Simmer for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the beef with the marinade mixture and the red pepper. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Remove from the heat, season if required and stir through half the spring onions and coriander.
- Divide the broth between four bowls and garnish with the remaining, spring onions and coriander.