Hearty European Beef Stew
This is a delicious slow cook stew with a bit of a kick. Cubes of braising or stewing beef cubes seasoned with crushed caraway seeds and cooked in a tomato based stock with onions, then flavoured with cayenne pepper and paprika and finished with finely shredded red cabbage. A perfect dish for the cold months ahead.
- 450g lean beef braising or stewing cubes
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (available at large supermarkets), lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- ¼ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Put the beef in a large bowl or plastic food bag and season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, Cook the beef in the pan for 2-3 minutes until brown. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole pot with a lid.
- Add the tomato purée, cayenne pepper, paprika, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer on the hob or in a preheated oven at 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3 for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time stir through the cabbage and honey and return to the hob or oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Serve the stew with seasonal vegetables and the mash.