Individual Beef Pot Pies
Eat and serve the pot pies with seasonal vegetables and crusty bread.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 450g lean stewing or braising steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g field or chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 300ml good red wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon brown sauce
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 450g unpeeled waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g melted butter
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a moderate heat. In a large plastic bag add the flour, paprika and seasoning. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour.
- Cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, wine, tomato purée, brown sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C,Fan, Gas Mark 6.
- Meanwhile, place the potato slices and melted butter in a large bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Spoon the beef equally into four 300ml round or oval ovenproof dishes. Finish with the potato slices, place on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the pot pies with seasonal vegetables and crusty bread.