Individual Steak and Kidney Pies
A delicious and classic savoury pie filled with braising or stewing steak, kidney, vegetables, beef stock, ale and finished with a pastry topping.
2 hours 45 minutes
- 450g lean beef braising or stewing steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 225g ox kidney, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 450ml good, hot beef stock
- 1 sachet bouquet garni
- 200ml stout or brown ale
- 500g prepared shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and cook the beef for 3-4 minutes until brown.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes until coloured. Add the kidneys and cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour.
- Add the stock, bouquet garni, stout and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2 hours until the meat is tender. Remove the bouquet garni and spoon the mixture into 4 x 300ml individual pie dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5. Roll out the pastry and cut out four lids 1cm larger than the surface of each dish. Dampen the edges of each dish with a little water and place the pastry lid on top of the meat filling.
- Trim off any excess pastry and lightly press the edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Serve with fat chips and seasonal vegetables or salad.