This is an old fashioned one-pot dish using slow cooked shin of beef cubes and traditional vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, onions leekes and peas. A nostalgic dsh just like gran used to make!
2 hours 30 minutes
- 675g boneless beef shin, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 small leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 750ml good, hot beef stock
- Dash Worcestershire or brown sauce
- 675g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 75g frozen peas
Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
Heat the oil in a large flame/ovenproof dish with a lid and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Add the carrots, onion, leeks and herbs. Season well and pour over the stock and add the Worcestershire or brown sauce.
Top with the potatoes, cover and cook in the oven for approximately 2-2½ hours until the beef is tender.
5-10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the peas and return to the oven uncovered for the remainder of the cooking time.
Simply serve this one-pot dish as is.