Mustard Marinated Steaks with Noodles,Cucumber and Radish Salad
To Cook Rare: Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: Well done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 x 175g lean sirloin, rib-eye, rump or flat iron steaks
For the Mustard Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons rice wine or mirin
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
For the Noodle, Cucumber and Radish Salad:
- 350g cooked and cooled noodles
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 small Gem lettuces, rinsed and shredded
- 6-8 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks or julienned
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
For the Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- To prepare the marinade; in a shallow non metallic dish mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the steaks, cover and marinate in the fridge for up to 2 hours, or if time allows, overnight.
- To prepare the noodle salad; put all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together, pour over the salad and toss gently. Season.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and cook according to your preference on a prepared barbecue or under a moderate preheated grill.
- Serve the steaks with the salad.