Mustard Marinated Steaks with Noodles,Cucumber and Radish Salad
To Cook Rare: Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: Well done: 6 minutes on each side
4 x 175g/6oz lean sirloin, rib-eye, rump or flat iron steaks
For the Mustard Marinade:
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 60ml/4tbsp rice wine or mirin
- 10ml/2tsp English mustard
- 30ml/2tbsp caster sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp dry sherry
For the Noodle, Cucumber and Radish Salad:
- 350g/12oz cooked and cooled noodles
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 small Gem lettuces, rinsed and shredded
- 6-8 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks or julienned
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 15ml/1tbsp toasted sesame seeds
For the Dressing:
- 60ml/4tbsp soy sauce
- 10-15ml/2-3tsp sesame oil
1. To prepare the marinade; in a shallow non metallic dish mix all the ingredients together.
2. Add the steaks, cover and marinate in the fridge for up to 2 hours, or if time allows, overnight.
3. To prepare the noodle salad; put all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together, pour over the salad and toss gently. Season.
4. Remove the steaks from the marinade and cook according to your preference on a prepared barbecue or under a moderate preheated grill.
5. Serve the steaks with the salad.