Caramelised Chilli Beef Steaks
Quick but impressive meal for two. Sirloin, rib eye or rump steaks with a chilli glaze.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Prepare the chilli dressing; heat half the oil in a large shallow frying pan and cook the garlic, shallots and chilli for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly syrupy and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized griddle or frying pan, brush the steaks with the remaining oil on both sides and cook according to your preference. Leave to rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice the beef on the diagonal and arrange over vegetable rice. Pour over the sauce and serve immediately with a green salad.