BBQ Flat Iron Steaks with Chargrilled Sweet Pepper Relish
This is a lovely recipe featuring flat iron steaks cooked under the grill or on a prepared barbecue, then topped with a combination of chopped char grilled peppers from a jar, finely chopped olives, fresh thyme and a squeeze of lemon.
- 2 x 175g lean flat iron steaks
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Chargrilled Sweet Pepper Relish
- 25g kalamata black olives, stoned and drained
- 75g chargrilled peppers in oil, drained
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon
Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
To prepare the sweet pepper relish; place the olives, peppers, half the thyme and lemon juice in a blender or processor and blend briefly to form a rough paste.
Place the steaks on a chopping board, season and sprinkle with the remaining herbs and oil on both sides.
Cook the steaks under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for Rare: 2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side, Well Done:5-7 minutes on each side, or according to your preference. Spoon over the relish, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
Serve the steaks with sautéed new potatoes and salad leaves.