A tasty flat iron steak recipe that only uses five ingredients. It's served with a tomatoey fiery sauce made with chopped tomatoes, onions and chilli sauce. Try this recipe with any beef steak of your choice.
- 4 x 175g lean flat iron steaks
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons good hot chilli sauce
- From the Store Cupboard:
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Remove the steaks from the fridge, cover and set aside for 20 minutes, to bring up to room temperature.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board and season on both sides.
- Add the steaks to the pan and cook according to your preference (Rare, 2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare, 3-4 minutes on each side, Medium, 5-7 minutes on each side). Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in in the same frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, thyme and chilli sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Season.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce, sauté potatoes and seasonal vegetables.