Hot Seared Beef Salad with New Potatoes and Honey Dressing
Delicious summer lunch or supper with beef rump strips, potatoes, salad and flaked almonds and a tangy honey and vinegar dressing.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 450g lean beef rump steak
- 375g new potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 40g flaked almonds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 85-100g bag mixed salad leaves
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook the potatoes, peeled in boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cucumber to a large bowl with the parsley and almonds. Add the potatoes.
- To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together half the olive oil, sherry vinegar, runny honey and season.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and the steaks according to preference. Season and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the beef into 5cm/2in strips and add to the rest of the salad ingredients. Pour any of the beef juices from the pan into the salad dressing.
- Arrange the salad leaves onto a large plate, scatter the tomatoes, over the salad leaves and spoon over half the dressing.
- Pile the beef and potato salad onto the plate, drizzle with the remaining dressing and garnish with sprigs of extra flat-leaf parsley.