Marinated in an Asian style sauce, these steaks are great on the barbecue or grill and can even be modified for lamb.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
For the Marinade
- :90ml/6tbsp light soy sauce
- 60ml/4tbsp plum jam
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lime
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a large shallow bowl.
- Add the steaks, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or overnight, if time allows.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and reserve the marinade mixture.
- Cook the steaks according to preference on a preheated grill or barbecue, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade.