Beef Salad with Watercress and Basil Sauce
A wholesome alfresco salad bursting with summer flavours. Cooked sirloin or rump steaks combined with peppery watercress leaves drizzled with a basil sauce made with fresh basil, lemon juice, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean sirloin or rump steaks
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 large bag watercress or salad leaves
- 1 x 25g pack fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or English mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare the sauce; place the basil, garlic, lemon juice and mustard into a food processor or blender. Blend together to a rough paste, then with the motor still running add the olive oil in a steady trickle until thick. Transfer to a small bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- Season the steaks, brush with the oil and cook the steaks on a preheated griddle pan, under a preheated grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference. Transfer to a warm plate and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Pile the salad leaves on to a serving plate. Slice the steaks diagonally, adding any meat juices to the sauce. Toss the strips in the salad and drizzle with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.