Beef Steaks with Lime, Tomatoes and Anchovies
A great barbecue steak recipe with a tomato based sauce with anchovies and limes.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean beef sirloin, rump, rib-eye, fillet or thin cut/sizzle steaks
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 30g can anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons water
Extra lime wedges, to garnish
- For the Black Bean Salsa:
- 100g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small handful freshly chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the steaks in a large, non-metallic shallow dish. Add the lime zest and juice and seasoning. Coat the steaks on both sides. Cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan on the hob or barbecue and cook the tomatoes, spring onions, garlic and anchovies for 1-2 minutes. . Add the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove and set aside.
- To make the salsa; combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season.
- Cook the steaks on a preheated moderate grill or prepared barbecue according to your preference. If using fillet steaks increase the cooking time to an additional 1-2 minutes on each side. For thin cut/sizzle steaks, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side (for medium).
- Serve the steaks with the sauce and the salsa.