Caramelised Balsamic Steaks
A great mid week steak supper dish that is ready in under 20 minutes with a marinade made with balsamic vinegar,, sugar, garlic, fresh rosemary and seasoning
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean sirloin, rib eye or flat iron steaks
For the Balsamic Marinade
- :30ml/2tbsp good quality balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 15ml/1tbsp muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed or 5ml/1tsp garlic purée
- 1 large sprig freshly chopped rosemary
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp mild chilli powder
- In a large non-metallic dish, mix all the marinade ingredients together. Place the steaks in the marinade and coat on both sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours or, if time allows, overnight, turning once.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference. Set aside to rest on a warm plate.
- Serve the steaks with saute mushrooms and onions and potato wedges.