Caribbean Jerk Style Steaks
The homemade jerk marinade with chilli, garlic, rum and all spice gives a real kick to rump, sirloin or rib eye steaks. Perfect for the barbecue
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean rib-eye, sirloin or rump steaks
For the jerk marinade:
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Place the marinade ingredients into a food processor or blender and whizz together to form a smooth paste.
- Spoon the marinade into a shallow dish and coat the steaks on both sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour, or overnight for extra flavour.
- Cook the steaks according to your preference on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill.
- Serve the steaks with a pasta salad and crusty bread.