Caribbean Jerk Style Steaks
The homemade jerk marinade with chilli, garlic, rum and all spice gives a real kick to rump, sirloin or rib eye steaks. Perfect for the barbecue
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean rib-eye, sirloin or rump steaks
For the jerk marinade
- :2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5ml/1tsp ground allspice
- 15ml/1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp dark rum
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground cinnamon
- 5ml/1tsp caster sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp light soy sauce
- Place the marinade ingredients into a food processor or blender and whizz together to form a smooth paste.
- Spoon the marinade into a shallow dish and coat the steaks on both sides. Cover ands marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour overnight for extra flavour.
- Cook the steaks according to your preference on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill.
- Serve the steaks with a pasta salad and crusty bread.
Tips:If time is short why not use a jar of prepared or dry rub jerk seasoning. A variety of jerk pastes and seasonings are available at all good supermarkets. Jerk pastes/seasoning works well on lamb too.
Nutrition: Per Serving