Open Steak Sandwiches
Based on a 2cm/¾ inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean rump, sirloin or rib-eye steaks
- 50g/2oz pea shoots or rocket leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- 4 thick slices fresh granary or ciabatta bread
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 60ml/4tbsp onion chutney or pickle
- 50g/2oz grated good, vintage hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar
Put the pea shoots or rocket in a large bowl, season and add the lemon juice. Cover and set aside.
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Brush the bread slices with half the oil on both sides then griddle for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a large plate, spread with the chutney and sprinkle with the cheese. Reduce the heat under the pan.
Season the steaks and brush with the remaining oil on both sides and cook according to your preference. If preferred, cook the steaks on a prepared barbecue. Transfer to a warm plate and leave to rest for a few minutes.
Slice the steaks on the diagonal, arrange on top of the bread and top with the pea shoots or rocket leaves