Rib-Eye Steaks with Onion and Rhubarb Chutney
A quick steak dish for midweek or weekend. Pan fried rib eye, sirloin or rump with a quick, fruity, rhubarb and onion chutney
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean rib-eye, sirloin or rump steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp English mustard powder
- 1 x 200g jar caramelised onions
- 30ml/2tbsp good, hot vegetable stock
- 2 sticks fresh rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- Place the steaks on a chopping board. Season and dust on both sides with the mustard powder.
- Meanwhile, spoon the prepared caramelised onion into a large saucepan and add the stock, rhubarb and thyme. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying or griddle pan until hot and cook the steaks according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with the chutney, chive mash and seasonal vegetables.