Seared Rib-Eye Steaks with Orange and Ginger Butter
Quick supper for two with a bit of preparation, marinated rib eye or rump steaks with an orange and ginger butter.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean rib-eye, sirloin or rump steaks
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons cider or rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
For the orange and ginger butter:
- 50g softened butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Prepare the orange and ginger butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Mould the butter into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film or foil and refrigerate until firm.
- Place the steaks in a shallow bowl. Whisk together the marinade ingredients and spoon over the steaks to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and discard the marinade mixture. Cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill according to your preference, turning occasionally.
- Transfer to a warm plate and top each steak with a disc of the flavoured butter.
- Serve the steaks with a new potato and broad bean salad.