Rib-Eye Steak with Beefy Onion Sauce
English cuisine at its absolute best - steak and mash - served with a piquant style brown sauce and Cheddar crouton - use these to dunk into the delicious sauce!
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean beef rib-eye, sirloin or rump steak
- 25g butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ stock cube
- 150ml water
- 4 slices French stick
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan. Cook the steaks according to preference (see above). During the last two minutes of the cooking time add the onion. Once cooked, remove steaks from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, stock cube and water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until reduced by about half. Return the steaks to the pan, add the bread slices and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Serve the steak and sauce with the croutons, potato and celeriac mash or spinach mash (just stir spinach through the steaming mash to wilt slightly and serve) and seasonal green vegetables.