BBQ Steak Kebabs with Red Chicory Salad
Summer dish ideal for barbecue. Thin cut sirloin or minute steak skewers marinated in lemon, chilli and oregano. Served with peppery chicory salad.
- 450g/1lb lean thin cut sirloin or minute steaks
For the Marinade
- :60ml/4tbsp olive oil
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 5ml/1tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Red Chicory Salad
- :½ small cucumber, cut in half lengthways and sliced
- 1 x 200g pack red chicory leaves, rinsed and separated
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 10ml/2tsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 45ml/3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place the steaks in a shallow bowl. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the steaks. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Prepare the chicory salad; place the cucumber, chicory leaves, herbs and shallots in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, horseradish sauce, olive oil and seasoning. Pour over the salad and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- Thread the steaks onto 4 short metal or wooden skewers (previously soaked in water) and cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill for 2-4 minutes, turning occasionally until the meat juices run clear.
- Garnish with extra flat-leaf parsley and serve with the chicory salad and foccacia or walnut bread.