BBQ Maple Glazed Beef Kebabs with Tacos
Beef kebabs or skewers made with cubes of beef rump or picanha steak flavoured with cayenne and maple syrup cooked on a prepared barbecue or grill. Serve with home-made avocado and beetroot salsa for a simple and tasty dinner.
- 450g/1lb lean rump or picanha steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 5ml/1tsp cayenne pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp maple syrup or runny honey
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Avocado and Beetroot Salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, stoned, peeled and diced
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 small, cooked baby beetroots, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 large handfuls watercress leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 8 crisp Taco trays or shells, warmed
To prepare the kebabs; in a small dish mix together the cayenne pepper, maple syrup or honey, seasoning and oil.
Thread the beef cubes onto 4-6 small metal or wooden skewers (previously soaked in water for at least 20 minutes). Brush the kebabs with the cayenne mixture on both sides.
Cook the kebabs under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a warm plate to rest.
To prepare the avocado and beetroot salsa; in a small bowl mix all the salsa ingredients together (except the sour cream or low-fat crème fraîche). Spoon the salsa into the taco trays or shells and position the kebabs on top.
Serve the kebabs and tacos with the salsa and the sour cream or crème fraîche.