Summer Beef Salad Nicoise
Serve immediately with crusty bread. This recipe works well with leftover cooked roast beef too.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 450-675g lean topside or mini roast joint
- ½oz softened butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 3 medium eggs, hard-boiled and roughly chopped
- 15 small new potatoes, halved and cooked
- 100g fine green beans, topped, tailed and blanched
- 3 little Gem lettuces, roughly torn
- 10-12 black olives, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 4-6 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Few caper berries, to garnish, optional
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 175ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C, Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Place the joint on a chopping board. Make several slits over the surface of the joint and season. In a small bowl mix together the butter, garlic and chives and spread generously over the joint and into the slits.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting with any rich meat juices. After roasting cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing; place all the ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake well.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Slice the beef very thinly and toss lightly in the salad. Drizzle over the dressing.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.