Pan-Fried Lamb with Mint and Pea Risotto
Herby lamb leg or rump steak with a creamy, fresh pea and mint risotto - a fresh and tasty meal for 2 and on the table in 40 minutes.
- 2 lean boneless topside, lamb leg or rump steaks
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1.2L good, hot vegetable stock
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g Arborio (risotto) rice
- 50ml dry white wine
- 75g fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Place the steaks on a chopping board and season. Sprinkle with the herbs on both sides. Cover and set aside in a cool place.
- To prepare the risotto; pour the stock into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the rice and coat well in the butter. Add the wine and allow to evaporate, stirring continuously.
- Add a ladleful of stock at a time and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring continuously. Continue to add the stock a little at a time until the rice swells and becomes creamy. You may not need all the stock (this should take about 30-35 minutes).
- Add the peas, mint and lemon zest. Season and cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is tender and the vegetables are cooked.
- 10 minutes before the risotto is cooked place the lamb under a preheated grill or a prepared barbecue and cook for 4-6 minutes, turning once. Serve with the risotto.