Lamb and Barley Risotto
A simple to prepare alternative to a traditional rice risotto.
1 hour 10 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean boneless shoulder of lamb or mutton cut into 2.5cm/2inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp ground cumin
- 10ml/2tsp ground turmeric
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml/7floz reduced fat coconut milk
- 200g/7oz pearl barley
- 850ml/1½pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 100g/4oz green peas
- Large bunch freshly chopped mint
- Place the lamb in a large bowl, season and coat in the spices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the lamb for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a 1.7L/3pint casserole dish.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft but not brown. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the pearl barley, coconut milk, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 55 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the mint and serve immediately with crusty bread.