Oven-Baked Mince Risotto
- 375g lean beef mince
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g arborio (risotto) rice
- ¼ pint red wine
- 1.2L good, hot vegetable stock
- 1-2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 x 175g jar grilled or roasted peppers in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 x 310g jar grilled or roasted aubergines in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 large handful freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 5L ovenproof casserole dish with a well-fitting lid.
- In a large shallow non-stick frying pan melt half the butter and cook the mince, onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes until brown. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute until the rice grains are fully coated.
- Spoon the mixture into the dish. Add the wine, stock, bay leaves and seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the remaining butter, roasted peppers and aubergines, parsley and freshly grated Parmesan.
- Serve the risotto with extra Parmesan shavings and a crisp salad.