Beef and Red Pepper Burgers
Tip: To prevent the burgers breaking up during cooking, place on a sheet of aluminium foil over the barbecue.
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1.25ml/½tsp dried mixed herbs
- 30ml/2tbsp barbecue or sweet chilli sauce
- 25-50g/1-2oz fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- Salad leaves, to garnish
- Place the minced beef in a large bowl and add the onion, garlic, red pepper, herbs, barbecue or sweet chilli sauce and breadcrumbs.
- Add the seasoning and egg. Mix together thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using damp hands shape the mixture into 4-6 evenly sized burgers.
- Brush the burgers with a little oil and cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated moderate grill for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve the burgers in ciabatta rolls garnished with salad leaves with a large spoonful of selected relish.