Asian-Style Beef Noodles
An oriental-inspired quick stir-fry recipe with spring onions, ginger, noodles, oyster and hoisin sauce and Chinese five spice powder
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp soft brown sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp Schezuan or oyster sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp hoisin sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp soy sauce
- 125ml/4floz water
- 250g/9oz rice noodles
- 30ml/2tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp cornflour
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sweet sherry
- Shredded spring onions, to garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, sauces and water. Cover and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and toss in half the oil.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick wok or shallow frying pan. Add the ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the beef and stir-fry for 5-10 minutes until brown. Add the Chinese five-spice powder, sauces and stir-fry for a further 5-10 minutes. Season.
- Mix together the cornflour and the sherry, add to the wok or pan and stir gently.
- Serve on a bed of rice noodles garnished with the shredded spring onions.