Braised Shoulder of Lamb
Eat Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Tip: Use a large roasting tin if your frying pan is not large enough. If preferred halve the recipe and use 1 x 900g (2lb) lamb half shoulder joint instead.
- 1 x 1.8kg/4lb lean shoulder of lamb
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp runny honey
- 300ml/½pint good red wine
- 150ml/¼pint good, hot lamb stock
- 10 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season on both sides. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Cook the lamb for 3-4 minutes on both sides until brown and transfer to a 2.8L /5pint casserole dish with a lid or a large non-stick roasting tin.
- Add the vegetables to the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to the casserole dish or roasting tin.
- Add the honey, wine, stock and rosemary. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover (with a large sheet of foil if using a roasting tin) and transfer to the oven for 2½-3 hours. Turn the lamb over half way through the cooking time.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
Tips:Use a large roasting tin if your frying pan is not large enough. If preferred halve the recipe and use 1 x 900g (2lb) lamb half shoulder joint instead.
Nutrition: Per Serving