Roast Boneless Shoulder of Lamb with Lemon,Caper and Anchovy Stuffing
Impressive boneless lamb shoulder joint stuffed with a lemon, caper and anchovy stuffing.
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1.3kg/3lb lean boneless lamb shoulder
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp dried oregano or 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
For the Lemon, Caper and Anchovy Stuffing
- :50g/2oz bulghur wheat or couscous
- 125ml/4floz good, hot vegetable stock
- 15ml/1tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 1 x 30g can anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 15-30ml freshly chopped flat–leaf parsley
- Prepare the stuffing; cook the bulghur wheat or couscous with the stock according to the packet instructions, fluff up with a fork and set aside to cool slightly. Stir in the capers, anchovies, garlic, lemon zest, juice and parsley.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, remove any butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands (reserve for later), unroll, skin side down and season on both sides with salt, pepper and oregano. Spread the stuffing mixture evenly over the joint, but do not overfill. Roll up and secure with new butcher’s string or the reserved elasticated meat bands.
- Weigh the joint and place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, and drizzle with the olive oil. Cover and roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time. Remove from the oven, cover and set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the lamb with crushed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.