Lamb Jalfreasy Curry
Try this wonderful jalfreasy curry from our Simply Pleasures ad campaign that is so easy to prepare with fabulous results. Lamb cubes are cooked in a jalfrezi sauce with sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, lamb stock, fresh lime juice and garnished with freshly chopped coriander.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean lamb shoulder or leg cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 x 500g jar prepared jalfrezi sauce
- 200ml/7fl oz good, hot lamb stock
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Juice of ½ lime
- Large handful of freshly chopped coriander
- Black mustard seeds to garnish (optional)
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the lamb in batches for 3-4 minutes. Spoon into a 1.2L/2pint heatproof casserole dish.
Add the remaining oil to the same pan and cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes. Add the sauce and stock, bring to the boil and spoon into the casserole dish. Season if required.
Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2-2½ hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required.
20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the potato and lime juice.
Garnish with the coriander and black mustard seeds and serve with basmati rice, naan bread and a chutney of your choice.