Slow Roast Spring Lamb with Olives
This flavour-filled lamb roast is a must to try. The joint is spread with a little oil, finely chopped garlic, fresh rosemary, finely chopped canned anchovies and green olives. It's slow roasted in a low oven with wine or stock for over two hours
2 hours 30 minutes
- 900g/2lb lean half leg lamb
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, roughly chopped - See more at: http://www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk/recipes/slow-roast-spring-lamb-olives#sthas
- 8 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 50g/2oz green olives, drained and finely chopped
- 300ml/½ pint white wine or good, hot vegetable stock
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
In a small bowl mix together half the oil, garlic, rosemary, anchovies and olives.
Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface with a sharp knife. Season and stuff the garlic mixture into the slits and over both sides of the joint.
Heat a large non-stick pan with the remaining oil and brown the lamb on both sides along with any remaining garlic mixture.
Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish with any remaining mixture from the pan.
Add the wine or stock, cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for 2½ hours, basting occasionally. Serve the lamb with hot new potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli or braised leeks.