- 450g/1lb lean boneless stewing beef, such as shin, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed OR 5ml/1tsp garlic purée
- 1 x 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped OR 10ml/2tsp ginger purée
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped OR 1 x 450g pack chopped onions
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped or a large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 200ml/7 fl oz good, hot beef stock
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 450g/1lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 225g/8oz pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 1 x 450g can red kidney or butter beans, drained
- 200ml/7floz light coconut milk
- 150g/5½oz baby spinach leaves
Place all the ingredients except the spinach in a large slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on HIGH or 8-10 hours on LOW.
During the last 20 minutes of cooking time add the spinach. Cover and cook for remaining five minutes.
Spoon into soup bowls and serve with crusty bread.