This Caribbean-inspired slow cooker stew is tasty and morerish. Cubes of beef shin, garlic,ginger, onions, chilli, stock, potatoes, pumpkin or butternut squash, red kidney beans, coconut milk work their magic together then finished with baby spinach leaves.
- 450g lean boneless stewing beef, such as shin, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed OR 1teaspoon garlic purée
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped OR 10ml/2tsp ginger purée
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped OR 1 x 450g pack chopped onions
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped or a large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 200ml good, hot beef stock
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 225g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 1 x 450g can red kidney or butter beans, drained
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 150g baby spinach leaves
Place all the ingredients except the spinach in a large slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on HIGH or 8-10 hours on LOW.
During the last 20 minutes of cooking time add the spinach. Cover and cook for remaining five minutes.
Spoon into soup bowls and serve with crusty bread.