Spiced Braised Beef with Celeriac and Pickled Walnuts
- 675g lean stewing or braising beef, cut into 5cm cubes
- 1-2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 250ml full bodied red wine
- 6 pickled walnuts, cut in half
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 sachet bouquet garni
- 500ml good, hot beef stock
- 1-2 tablespoons runny honey
- 175g baby carrots, scrapped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives, to garnish
- Place the beef in a large bowl and add the ground spices and seasoning. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the meat in batches and transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish. In the same frying pan cook the onions for 1-2 minutes until golden and add to the dish with the beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the carrot and celeriac. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1½-2 hours.
- 25-30 minutes before the end of cooking add the carrots and celeriac and continue to cook until the meat is tender.
- Garnish with chives and serve with plain couscous or rice.