Tray Baked Braising Steak with Orange and Juniper
- 350g/12oz lean braising or stewing steak, cut in half
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1.25ml/¼tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled and lightly crushed
- Peel of ½ orange (use a vegetable peeler)
- 2 bay leaves
- 225g/8oz small potatoes, quartered
- 200ml/7floz Port, good hot beef stock or red wine
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp double cream or crème fraîche, optional
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- On a small plate mix together the seasoning and juniper berries. Coat the steaks on both sides in the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the steaks with the shallots for 3-4 minutes until lightly brown. Transfer to a shallow baking or roasting tray.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tray. Cover with foil and cook for 1½-2 hours.
- After 1 hour turn the steaks over, recover and return to the oven.
- Garnish with the cream (if used) and garnish with the parsley. Serve with seasonal green vegetables.
*Jumper berries can be found in the spice section of the supermarket.