- 350g lean braising or stewing steak, cut in half
- ¼ teaspoon juniper berries, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled and lightly crushed
- Peel of ½ orange (use a vegetable peeler)
- 2 bay leaves
- 225g small potatoes, quartered
- 200ml Port, good hot beef stock or red wine
- 1-2 tablespoons double cream or crème fraîche, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- On a small plate mix together the seasoning and juniper berries. Coat the steaks on both sides in the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the steaks with the shallots for 3-4 minutes until lightly brown. Transfer to a shallow baking or roasting tray.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tray. Cover with foil and cook for 1½-2 hours.
- After 1 hour turn the steaks over, recover and return to the oven.
- Garnish with the cream (if used) and garnish with the parsley. Serve with seasonal green vegetables.
Tips:Juniper berries can be found in the spice section of supermarket aisles.