Winter Beef and Chestnut Casserole - Slow Cooker Version
This hearty casserole uses cubed shin, stewing or braising beef cooked slowly until tender in a slow cooker.
- 450g lean boneless shin, stewing or braising beef, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g baby carrots, topped and left whole
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 450ml good, hot beef stock
- 200ml good red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 200g cooked and peeled whole chestnuts
- Place the flour, seasoning and nutmeg into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
- In the same frying pan cook the shallots, garlic and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Spoon over the beef with the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn a large slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers\' handbook.
- Serve with mustard mash.