Beef,Mushroom and Red Wine with Thyme Suet Crust
Traditional suet crust pie on top of slow cooked beef braising or stewing cubes, mushrooms and red wine. A firm family favourite.
- 450g lean braising or stewing cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 150g mushrooms, halved
- 450ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon gravy granules
- 1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
- 300g self-raising flour
- 150g suet
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 180ml cold water
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef for 3-4 minutes until browned. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour over the red wine and add the gravy granules and redcurrant jelly. Heat for 3-4 minutes until thickened, then transfer to a large ovenproof pie dish.
- To make the pastry place the flour into a bowl with the suet. Add the thyme, chopped, and season with salt. Add enough water to bind and roll out on a floured surface to cover the pie dish. Place on top of the meat, cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for 2 hours. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking time to brown the pastry.
- Serve with mash and seasonal vegetables.