Easy Beef Casserole with Herb Dumplings
Do try this easy beef casserole with herb dumplings using a variety of ingredients that will cut down your preparation time in the kitchen, but not on flavour. Use beef chuck steak or shin for this recipe.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 675g beef chuck or shin, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 25g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 x 500g prepared sliced stewing vegetables
- 450ml hot beef stock (cubes or granules)
- 300ml good red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- For the Herb Dumplings
- 1 x 180g pack (approx) prepared dumpling mix
- Place the flour in a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C, Fan, Gas Mark 3. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.7L ovenproof casserole dish with a lid.
Add the vegetables, stir in the stock, wine and the herbs, cover and cook in the oven for 2-2½ hours, or until the meat is tender.
Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings according to the packet instructions. Shape into 8 evenly-sized balls.
20-25 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the dumplings on top of the casserole and return to the oven uncovered.
Serve with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.