Herby Crown Roast Lamb with Seasonal Spring Vegetables in a Mint Butter
An impressive roast lamb recipe from the Edwardian period.
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1 lean leg lamb or crown roast joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Large handful freshly chopped mint, parsley, thyme and rosemary
- 30ml/2tbsp mint jelly
For the vegetables
- :Selection of seasonal spring vegetables such as asparagus, peas, spring onions etc
- 25g/1oz butter, softened
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time. Make several deep and wide slits into the joint between the bones, season and stuff with the herbs. Place onto a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated cooking time. 10 minutes before the end of cooking remove the joint and brush with the mint jelly and return to the oven.
- Lightly steam a selection of seasonal spring vegetables. Mix together the butter with the mint.Once the vegetables are cooked transfer to a hot serving dish and melt over the mint butter.
- Serve the lamb with the minty spring vegetables and boiled new potatoes.