Lamb with Gooseberry Chutney
This is a wonderful lamb dish and the goosebery chutney works well with the flavours of the lamb.
- 2 lean lamb leg steaks, chops or cutlets
- 1 x 300g can gooseberries in syrup, drained, reserving 45ml/3tbsp reserved syrup
- 25g/1oz sultanas
- 30ml/2tbsp muscovado sugar
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground allspice
- 25g/1oz Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese
- Cook the steaks under a preheated grill for 8-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the gooseberry chutney: in a pan add the gooseberries, sultanas, sugar and allspice. Mix together and simmer for 5-6 minutes until thickened and pulpy.
- During the last 3-4 minutes cooking time top each lamb steak with a spoonful of the gooseberry chutney and cheese. Return to the grill for the remaining cooking time until the cheese has melted and the lamb cooked through.
- Serve with cheesy mashed potato and seasonal vegetables.