Spiced Lamb with Spiralised Parsnip and Freekeh Salad
This healthy and delicious lamb dish is packed with flavour. Lamb steaks are combined with aromatic garam masala and turmeric spices and a little chilli flakes. Grilled and served with a warm spiralized parsnip, freekeh and red onion salad finished with a tahini and natural yogurt dressing.
- 4 lean boneless lamb leg or rump steaks
- 1 x 250g pack ready to eat freekeh or 100g/4oz cracked freekeh
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp garam masala
- 5ml/1tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed oil
- For the Salad
- :3 medium parsnips, peeled and spiralised (using a julienne vegetable peeler)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 28-30g pack freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon, juice of 2 lemons
- For the Tahini Dressing
- :50g/2oz prepared Tahini paste
- 60ml/4tbsp natural yogurt
- 120ml/8tbsp warm water
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
If using cracked freekeh, cook according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
In a small bowl mix together the spice ingredients and half the oil.
Place the steaks on a chopping board, season and brush with the spice mixture on on both sides.
Cook on a preheated moderate grill for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until any meat juices run clear. Transfer to a warm plate and cover loosely.
Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the parsnips, onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl combine the freekeh, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste and add the parsnip mix.
In a small bowl combine the tahini dressing ingredients together. Season.
Serve the steaks with the salad drizzled with the dressing.