Roast Beef wrapped in Mustard, Cheese and Parma Ham
Ideal celebratory or weekend roast. Topside or silverside joint wrapped in mustard, cream cheese and parma ham.
1 hour 30 minutes
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1.25kg/2¾lb lean topside or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 25-30ml/1-2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 x 200g pack medium fat soft cheese, e.g. Philadelphia
- 60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 1 x 80g pack (6 slices) Parma or Proscuitto ham
For the Garlic Fondant Potatoes
- :15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely crushed
- 900g-1.3kg/2-3lb small new potatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 300ml/½pint good, hot vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, season well and brush with the mustard. Place on a rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any beef juices.
- To prepare the fondant potatoes, Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and cook the garlic for 1-2 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the potatoes and toss in the oil. Transfer to a large roasting tin and pour over the hot stock. Season and roast for 1-1½hours.
- In a small bowl mix together the medium fat soft cheese with the chives. Lay the Parma or proscuitto ham evenly on a clean chopping board and spread the mixture evenly over the ham.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the joint from the oven and wrap the Parma ham, cheese side down directly around the beef. Tie with string, if required and return to the oven.
- Serve the joint with the garlicky fondant potatoes and green beans.