Pineapple Glazed Beef
Fruity twist on roast beef topside or sirloin joint with crushed pineapple, Chinese 5 spice, soy and chilli
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1.25-1.3kg/2½-3lb lean beef topside or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- ½ x 425g can crushed pineapple in natural fruit juice
- 10ml/2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 60ml/4tbsp light soy sauce
- 60ml/4tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, and make a few incisions all over the joint. Season well and transfer to a large shallow dish. In a small bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Transfer half the marinade mixture into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until required. Brush the remaining mixture over the joint. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Brush any marinade off the top surface of the joint and reserve any marinade mixture from the marinade dish. Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any beef juices. Cover the joint with foil, if browning too quickly.
- 20 minutes before the end of cooking brush the joint with the remaining marinade from the dish and return to the oven uncovered.
- Serve with joint with Chinese stir-fried vegetables, egg noodles and the remaining fresh marinade from the fridge.