Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs (Slow Cooker Version)
A delicious, warming dish for the slow cooker that uses beef short ribs - a similar flavour to oxtail. The meat is combined with mustard, smoked paprika, root vegetables, canned tomatoes and stock. Great for the cold evenings.
- 1.8kg beef short ribs (Jacob's Ladder), cut in half widthways or oxtail pieces
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, sliced and rinsed
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 850ml good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- In a small bowl mix the seasoning, sugar, garlic, mustard, paprika and Worcestershire sauce together.
- Place the ribs or oxtail pieces in a shallow tray and coat with the spice mixture on both sides. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour, or overnight if time allows.
- Add all the ingredients to a large slow cooker and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove the bay leaves, skim off any oil and serve with creamy mash and roasted vegetables.