Steaks with Tomato and Cranberry Relish
Supper for two that works with beef or lamb steaks, complemented by a fruity tomato and cranberry relish.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
2 lean beef or lamb steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 400g can cherry or chopped tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g/2oz dried or fresh cranberries
- 30ml/2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare the sauce; place the tomatoes In a large pan. Add the garlic, cranberries, seasoning and half the oil.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Heat a large non-stick frying or griddle pan. Season the steaks, smear with the remaining oil on both sides and cook according to your preference.
- Arrange the steaks on a plate and serve with the relish, sauté mushrooms and chunky potato wedges.