Steaks with Red Wine Sauce
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 sirloin, rib-eye, rump or centre cut steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
For the Red Wine Sauce:
- 25g/1oz unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 15ml/1tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 200ml/7floz good red wine
- 200ml/7floz good, hot beef stock
- To prepare the red wine sauce; heat half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan, add the onion and vinegar and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and reduce the liquid to about a third. Add the stock and reduce by half (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining butter.
- Season the steaks, brush with oil on both sides and cook under a preheated grill, according to your preference. Transfer to warm serving plates and cover loosely with foil to keep warm and leave to rest for about five minutes. Stir any meat juices from the steak plate into the sauce.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce and seasonal vegetables.