Garlic and Herb Roast Shoulder of Lamb
A delicious warming treat for all the family. A whole shoulder of lamb spread with a garlic and herb butter and slow-cooked for over 3 hours with red onions, butternut squash, celery and hot lamb stock.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.8kg lean whole shoulder of lamb
- For the Herb Butter:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary
For the Vegetables:
- 5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 600ml good, hot lamb stock
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the vegetables in the base of a 2.8L casserole or roasting tin.
- Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife.
- Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover and transfer to the oven for 3-3½ hours.
- Serve the lamb with the vegetables, mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.