Garlic and Herb Roast Shoulder of Lamb
A delicious warming treat for all the family. A whole shoulder of lamb spread with a garlic and herb butter and slow-cooked for over 3 hours with red onions, butternut squash, celery and hot lamb stock.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.8kg/4lb lean shoulder of lamb
- For the Herb Butter
- :50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Vegetables:
- 5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
2. Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
3. Put the vegetables in the base of a 2.8L/5pint casserole or roasting tin.
4. Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife.
5. Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover and
transfer to the oven for 3-3½ hours.
6. Serve the lamb with the vegetables, mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.