Lamb and Broccoli Bake
Make the most of any Sunday roast lamb leftovers with this quick and easy dish made with juicy lamb and tender broccoli in a delicious white sauce.
- 1kg cooked roast lamb, cubed
- 375g broccoli, cut into florets or small pieces, or any vegetable mix
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary
- Cook the broccoli in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Refresh in cold water, drain and set aside.
- To make the white sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the milk. Bring to the boil; reduce the heat and simmer, stirring until thickened. Season and add the nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Add the lamb and warm through for 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli and white sauce. Spoon into a 1.2L ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and herbs, sprinkle over the lamb and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with mixed vegetables.